Friday, July 31, 2009

"Healthy" Brownies??!!


Well, probably not so much, but when one of the ingredients is zucchini, we can at least pretend that they are healthy, right??!! I LOVE Southern Living and I came across this recipe for Zucchini Brownies and I had to try it! I found it in their Southern Living: Homestyle Cooking cookbook. (This is my favorite cookbook right now!) Here is their recipe!
3 Cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 cups grated zucchini (I used one large zucchini, about 3/4 pound)
1/2 Cup butter, melted
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
1/2 Cup walnuts
COMBINE the first 5 ingredients in a bowl, stirring well. Combine zucchini and butter, add to flour mixture, stirring well. Combine sugar and next 3 ingredients; add to zucchini mixture, stirring 2 minutes.
POUR batter into a greased 15x10 inch jellyroll pan; top with chocolate morsels and walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
(I used a 13x9 pan because I like my brownies a little thicker and I dusted them with some powdered sugar.)

These are SOOO yummy and the zucchini makes them very moist! They were really more cake-like to me than a brownie. (Ya'll like how I tried to make the plate fancy? Ha! The chocolate was too thin, oh well, I tried and it tasted good, so there ya have it!) Oh, and incase you were wondering, you'd never even know that there was zucchini in these delightful little things!

No comments: